How far did you get: I finished the main story and did a handful of side missions
This DLC starts off a bit different than the others. You get attacked by some cultists when you go to a town in Skyrim, and one of them has an assassination order in his pocket. You take a boat from Windhelm to Solstheim, an island that belong to Morrowind. Then you go on your quest to find out who tried to kill you.
The island seems pretty big at first. The town you land in gives you plenty to do at the start, but once you start traveling the land, you begin to realize it's actually quite small. The terrain isn't anything you haven't already seen, either. Riversides, swampy areas, and snowy mountains are exactly the sorts of areas you've dealt with already in Skyrim. Indoors areas are almost entirely caves. However, things do get somewhat interesting when you open the Black Books. It takes you to some wacky poison vine land where everything is hazy and nothing makes sense. While these areas were very interesting to look at, the gameplay felt a bit stunted in these areas. There weren't many enemies there, and the ones that were there were repeated throughout every trip.
Dragonborn has a way of tricking you into thinking it's going to be better than it is. I kept hearing about the Skaal in the first town. When I finally met them, they were basically a nicer, coat wearing version of the Forsworn. None of the quests there were entertaining at all. In fact, the only part of Dragonborn I really enjoyed was running around with a wizard with a bad attitude. The main game had many more characters that were far more interesting.
The perks are something I can't fully talk about. You do get a new kind of stone to make armor out of, but my smithing wasn't leveled up enough to use it. You do get a shout that lets you control and ride dragons, but don't get excited. They go where ever they want and you can't fully control them. There were some nice weapons to pick up on my journey through Solstheim, but nothing that blew my mind.
I'd say there is definitely 20 dollars worth of content here, but that doesn't mean the content is good. When I get downloadable content, I generally like to see something a little different added to the main game, and Dragonborn does not offer that. In fact, I'd say Dawnguard offered a more unique experience than Dragonborn did. If you're a Skyrim fanatic, you're probably not going to pass on this, but prepare to be disappointed.
Rating: 58/100

No comments:
Post a Comment