Friday, February 1, 2013

Review! LittleBigPlanet Vita

System:  Playstation Vita
How far did you get:  Completed single player campaign, played around with multiplayer and creation tools

If you've never played a LittleBigPlanet game and you own a Playstation Vita, this is the only one you'll ever need to get.

After playing LittleBigPlanet and it's sequel on the Playstation 3 and the PSP game and noticing there was very little difference between the games, I didn't really have high hopes for LittleBigPlanet Vita.  I mean, what could they do differently at this point, and why would they risk alienating fans of the series?  What Media Molecule decided to do was take full advantage of the Vita's capabilities, and it turned out great for it.

Rather than give you the option of using the touch screen or tilt functions or just using the regular buttons like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, LittleBigPlanet requires you to use the Vita's special abilities.  Not just in mini games, either.  The single player campaign has many sections that require you to use the front and back touch screen and the tilt function, and it's fun every time you do it.  It's the first Vita game I've played that makes players really use the system and it's one of the best Vita games I've played for that reason.

It's a visual stunner, too.  If you can tell a difference between LittleBigPlanet Vita and it's Playstation 3 counterparts, you have better eyes than I do.  Just be sure to keep a cloth nearby, because you will be getting fingerprints on your screen quite a bit.  It controls pretty well on the handheld, too.  The jumping is still a bit floaty, but once you get used to it, it becomes part of the appeal. 

The main story has never been a seller for the LittleBigPlanet games, but the story here is good enough to properly introduce you to a rather zany cast of characters.  This isn't really anything different for LittleBigPlanet, though.  The amazing narrator from the previous games returns with his snarky humor and pleasant voice.  The only bad thing there is that once you finish the tutorial levels, you never hear from him again.

There were a couple of things that disappointed me about Sackboy's Vita outing, however.  If there was any licensed music in this one, I didn't notice it.  There were a few tracks that might have been, but they weren't nearly as good as the first two LittleBigPlanet games.  When playing the first two games, I almost jumped out of my chair when I heard music from likes of Battles, Squarepusher, and Lorn.  I was sad that I didn't get to experience that here.

I won't complain that there are far fewer levels in the Vita installment, as that is to be expected with the small Vita fanbase, but I will complain about the quality of what is there.  I was never too good at level creation myself, but I knew it and chose not to make levels.  LittleBigPlanet Vita is bogged down with incredibly simple and boring user made levels.  I don't know if it has anything to do with the creation set they're working with or if uncreative people are making levels, but either way I was disappointed.  

Regardless, LittleBigPlanet Vita is easily the most feature filled LittleBigPlanet to date when it comes to gameplay, so if you have a Vita and have ever been interested in the series, I'd recommend trying it out.

Rating:  82/100

No comments:

Post a Comment